Friday, October 19, 2007

LIFE AND DEATH

For some reason I have always felt that life retreats indoors when the day is a gray and rainy one. It's a day when life inside is far better than the goings on outside which if worth observing are best seen through the window. Usually I don't have the luxury of cocooning during inclement weather as there is always some compelling reason (most often work) that drags me out. As I made my way back to my car today I saw this simple image and I just liked the way the leaf separated cleanly from the pavement and the white line. Oddly enough, by the time a leaf has fallen from the branch it has already begun to die, but the leaf brought life to this image. My reward for venturing out into the elements was to find life in a dying leaf that had fallen onto a rainy street. "In the midst of life we are in death", Episcopalians recite from the Book of Common Prayer at a burial. And so we are.

No comments: