Saturday, November 22, 2008

CANDY MAN

I was so surprised to see this cotton candy vendor on Amsterdam Avenue near 133rd Street that I grabbed the photo from my car. He seemed out of place in the midst of this urban landscape. Everything looked so gray that the pastels of the cotton candy just jumped out at me. I shot it so quickly, that I didn't think I had much. However as I looked at this image I started to like it more and more. I like the parallel vertical lines of the street sign, the pole holding the cotton candy and the corners of the buildings. These repeated vertical lines give the picture a kind of energy. When I shot it I wished I could see the face of the vendor, but I think his anonymity is an asset. I think seeing his face would have completely changed the focus of the photo. New York City is filled with characters, but not all of them are as colorful as this one.

No comments: