Saturday, November 1, 2008

THE FOX

For the past several years I have come to feel that the Long Island I was born and raised on is vanishing. Some days I feel like it has simply disappeared. Almost daily I lament the traffic and congestion and the loss of open space to developers. I was really surprised to see this red fox in a local park. I haven't seen a fox here in more than twenty years and at first I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. The fox population is diminishing as more and more houses are built. I was so happy to see this fox it; reminded me of the bucolic Long Island I grew up on.

3 comments:

Laurel said...

The fox wants to know where he can find the delicious-looking pumpkin from the previous picture.

Angelika said...

When I first saw this I thought I was seeing things....its so good to see the wild life....every now and then I see one hanging around here.

TurtleBarbara said...

Hey Aud - we have grey and red fox living at the beach here in S/E Florida. Unfortunately, they are captivated by the sea turtle eggs as appetizers and train their youngins' how to find the emerging hatchlings. I'll see them sneaking off the beach about 20-30 minutes before the sunrise, when there is enough light to tell what they are. Not quite as thickly coated as your northern fella tho', but most of us have given up our warm things when we move here . Thanks for sharing. Barb