Monday, December 29, 2008

HARLEM

I think it is the symmetry of this photo that appeals to me. The white graffiti on the left side of the photo is balanced by a part of the tree on the right side. The arched doorway on the lower half of the image is balanced by the rectangular window above. The brick color of the lower part of the building versus the burgundy color on the upper part of the building. The woman dressed in black lends scale and interest at the same time. I wasn't sure if I liked this picture when I took it, but I like the balance of the photo. Perhaps because things seem so off balance right now.

1 comment:

squirrelmama said...

The lesson here I suppose is that balance occurs naturally if people would only let it - and not try to engineer it (as we have seen in the corporate world). And balance somehow asserts itself, ultimately, in a beautiful way. Just like in this photo.