Monday, August 11, 2008

STOP

Today was a day many of the residents in my small community of sixty one homes dreaded. Today the very controversial stop signs were installed. My home is on a corner and that intersection now has a three way stop. So one stop sign is on my corner and the one pictured here is in front of my neighbor's home, but I can see it as I sit at the desk in my home office and look out the window. I felt the stop signs were really unnecessary. Our community has one way in and one way out. There are only five roads. There is very little traffic because unless you live in here or are visiting someone there is no reason to come here. The stop signs were installed because a few new residents felt they made things safer. When I saw them being installed I felt sad and as though it was the end of an era. The bucolic suburban landscape now has a little more urban flavor. As I look past my computer screen and out the window I see the big, bright red stop sign. Somehow it is easier to stomach if I believe the sign is telling me to stop working so late. When to stop and when to go. I've been thinking about moving a lot lately.

2 comments:

Four Tiny Poms said...

I like the moving part, sign has been put again.

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm sorry this day came for you! Every time those kids ring your doorbell to sell cookies, you should remind them of what you sacrificed for their safety. : )