Sunday, October 19, 2008

HOOD ORNAMENT

Today hood ornaments seem to be limited only to luxury cars, but in the early days hood ornaments were a common way that automakers disguised the cap to the car's radiator. My maternal grandparents always drove a Packard. Growing up I would hear my Mom and her brothers talk about the car, but by then the company was out of business. When I saw this "goddess of speed" hood ornament I thought it was rich in detail and design and would be an interesting photo. Imagine my surprise when I saw the name Packard on the side of the ornament!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting connection. I wonder if your Granparents' car had a similar type of hood ornament on it too? Personally I love old cars like Packards, Dusenbergs, etc... Most of which are the kind to have stately adornments, like that one.