Friday, September 5, 2008

SECURITY BLANKET

The summer before I left for college my Mom and I took a trip to Canada. It was there that I first learned about the legendary Hudson Bay point blanket. Made in England, this 100% wool blanket has a heritage that goes back more than two hundred years. Mom told me that the blankets were so highly prized by Native Americans that they became important articles of trade - each short line or "point" woven into the edge of the blanket indicated the number of beaver pelts to be exchanged for the blanket. That summer she bought me a blanket to take away to college with me in the fall. Since then that blanket has been on every one of my beds. I have slept under a Hudson Bay blanket regardless of the season or temperature. Friends joke that it is my security blanket and I suppose in a way it has become just that. Of course with all the possible places he could sleep, Slugger's favorite is on that blanket--- at least he isn't under it.

No comments: