Thursday, September 4, 2008

WATER LILIES

My mother's mother was the only grandparent I knew and we used to see her at least twice a week. Behind her house was a small pond that she had made long before I was born. The pond although quite small and shallow looked enormous to me and she used to stock it with goldfish. I was the youngest of her seven grandchildren and the only girl. My older cousins used to challenge me to jump over the pond. Invariably I fell for the "dare" and wound up landing smack in the middle of the pond. My mother would scold me, but Nannie always took my side and would talk to the boys in her gentle way. The one thing I remember about that pond was the beautiful water lilies growing on it. I had never seen water lilies before and of course whenever I see them now I remember my grandmother.

No comments: