Friday, April 4, 2008

ANDROMEDA

When I moved into my house almost eight years ago the garden was overgrown and the landscaping, like the house was neglected and in need of attention. The house got my attention first and the garden is still a work in progress. I never really liked the andromeda shrub that is planted near some rhododendron in the front of the house. The bees seem to love it and I always give it a wide berth when I pass. Several years in a row I have pruned it so severely that it looks like nothing more than a stump. Will it come back in the Spring, I wonder. Each year it does. This year a landscaper looking at the property told me that the andromeda was quite old. He estimated it could have been planted more than fifty years ago. Immediately I felt guilty about those extreme pruning jobs. I'm thinking of a facelift, for the garden that is. The andromeda will be here next Spring too.

No comments: