Monday, April 21, 2008

PRIMARY COLORS

I'm learning things about myself as I shoot pictures for this blog. I felt very uninspired today and flirted with the idea of abandoning this effort. Too much like work I told myself. No one even looks at it... what's the object of this exercise? The tulips on my coffee table caught my eye and I started shooting some pictures. I couldn't get close enough and resorted to the macro lens. I kept getting closer, trying to abstract the image into geometric shapes of primary colors. I remembered my senior year of college studying Picasso and his cubist period where he started to deconstruct images in his paintings. I couldn't warm up to his work then, but as I shot the tulips I thought I should revisit Picasso and his cubism. Undoubtedly my art history classes influenced me, but until today I didn't realize they influenced how I shoot. And why do I do this? I think it allows me to explore different ways of seeing and in this space I can take risks. It's a process. I love the primary colors of these tulips and I especially like the intersection of the leaf as a green triangle. But I think I should have gotten even closer to the tulips!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, some people do read this -- and really love it too. :)