Friday, April 11, 2008

SHADOWS

Manhattan is one of the few places that I find myself always looking up. For the past two days the sun has been making art as shadows dance on the facades of buildings. I am always fascinated by the geometry of the shadows cast by fire escapes. I don't know why but as I shot this today I remembered a photo I took as a college student. It was a vertical picture that I printed on high contrast black and white paper to eliminate all the gray tones. I remember when I made that print I thought of the hackneyed aphorism "not everything is black and white". And today I thought about my habit of looking up in Manhattan. I decided that I should look up more often... not just for photos either! The parallels that can be found in photography and life are endless.

No comments: