Saturday, May 3, 2008

LESSONS


As a child I used to watch my mother labor in the garden. Her garden was her masterpiece and the labor undoubtedly a labor of love. When I bought my own home and started working in the garden she was my greatest resource. She helped me to decide what should go where and encouraged me to experiment with new varieties. Perhaps her best advice was to plant perennials. She educated me in the many varieties of hostas and told me her favorite is the elephant ear. It is one of my favorites too. I love the geometry of the plant, the way it unfolds and opens. Its gentle curves and ribbed leaves are a work of art and it is a perennial! It faithfully returns every year. Some of my most valuable lessons in life have come from my mother as we work in the garden.

No comments: