Saturday, June 28, 2008

ALWAYS A TEACHER


Most schools are on vacation now, but school was in session at my house this afternoon. Always the teacher, my Mom was passing on her strawberry shortcake recipe, complete with a hands on demonstration to ladies generations younger. As I watched her in action I remembered why parents used to request that their children be in her class. She hasn't lost her touch, organized and patient a perpetual teacher. Her hands belie her years, yet despite arthritis they make a mean strawberry shortcake. Those hands diapered me, spanked me when I was bad and squeezed fresh orange juice for me each morning until I went off to college. They knitted sweaters, scarves and hats for me, dried my tears and still comfort me. If I make it to ninety, I hope I am half as good as my Mom is now.

3 comments:

Angelika said...

Mom looks great, what a nice way to spend an afternoon. Wish I had a piece of that shortcake.

Anonymous said...

Very nice; now you made me cry! So lucky to still have your mom. CELEBRATE EVERY WONDERFUL MOMENT TOGETHER!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful woman. If the beautiful pictures are half as beautiful as the woman inside, everyone who knows her is so lucky to have her. I am so happy for you that you have such wonderful memories of your mother, the memories and beautiful pictures you will be able to cherish forever.