Tuesday, June 17, 2008

LILY MYSTERY

I can count on the fact that every Easter my Mom brings me a traditional Easter lily. She always picks a nice squat one, so that it doesn't get "too leggy". I enjoy not only the plant but the wonderful fragrance that permeates my home. Of course after a few weeks the blooms are spent. Gradually it makes its way to the porch and then sometime in May I plant them in the garden. Actually I did this on a whim, never expecting that the lily would actually flower again. Now I have a big clump of about eight plants in the garden, but the amazing part is the lilies bloom every year in June, but the blooms are this marvelous orange color, not white as they originally were.

1 comment:

Angelika said...

This could be due to soil nutrients, ph and alkalinity in your soil. Sometimes adding lime to the soil can change things.